Thursday, October 25, 2012

Why I LOVE cloth diapers.


 
 

David this post is for you ;)

This may be difficult to write because there are honestly soooo many reasons I love to cloth diaper my babies. Although Seth is in to them just as much as I am, it did take me a while to convince him. The main reason he was so hesitant was the start up price. The cost in the beginning to buy the diapers, detergent and cloth diaper cream can be a bit pricey, BUT isn’t that how it is with everything (Golf for example) I will give many reason why spending that $200+ in the beginning is worth it.
Here are a few websites that provide startup kits for those who have never cloth diapered before. Craigslist is another great way to save money and really find what cloth diaper brand works best for you.
Just a few brands.

First off the money I save is probably one of the biggest reasons I wanted to cloth diaper. I love that there are several different brands and colors to choose from, not to mention Rebekah’s already cute butt looks even cuter with owls covering it. I love that no matter what I NEVER run out of diapers. If I realize I am down to my last two cloth diapers all I have to do is throw them into the wash and an hour later I have good as new diapers to use ( It’s so easy…even men can do it ;) Yes cloth diapering will raise your water bill but seriously 3-5$ a month should not make a difference. If I were buying disposable diapers for Rebekah that WORKED and do not irritate her skin, I would be spending roughly 40+ a month (Do the math). Since I have been cloth diapering I have not dealt with a single blowout. Since day one of entering this world Rebekah gave me her fair share of blowout, they were so bad I would have to cut her onsies off of her. When using disposable diapers I constantly had to deal with Rebekah screaming from rashes. It even came down to the point that the Dr even mentioned cloth diapers because it was so bad. This was all she needed to be healed… cloth diapers. I was in control of what type of chemicals were touching my daughter’s skin. I have never really cared too much about “saving the environment” but when it comes down to it, cloth diapering really is great for my daughter and the environment.

 When I was first looking into cloth diapers all I could picture was the white piece of cloth secured by two safety pins! Boy was I wrong!!! The cloth diapers today go on almost exactly like a deposable diaper with Velcro or snaps. The cool thing about certain cloth diaper brands is the ability to use the same diaper from NB all the way to size 5. This in itself is pretty awesome because they grow with the baby!!!
 
While Rebekah is running around the house I can tell that the cloth diapers are more comfortable than disposables. In the beginning I had to deal with her constantly scratching her lower back or between her thighs because the disposable diapers were itching her or causing some sort of skin irritation. What would you rather wear? Soft, relaxed, comfortable, cotton underwear or chemical, plastic underwear? 

( I think the answer is obvious)

Have you ever leaked in your diaper? I bet is really uncomfortable… This can change ;)

Leaking has been less of a problem since we switched to cloth diapers. I always felt so bad when I would pick up my child in front of other moms and her pants would be soaked. So again, leaking and blowouts are not a problem anymore.  Here is something most people do not know about cloth diapers… Drum roll… You can buy flushable liners when you are out and about.. Yeah, I know.. Awesome right!!! I have not used these personally but plan on buying some for future road trip; this should help in the poopy department.
 

I really wish I would have used cloth diapers with Levi. I am not sure why I waited till our second child to decide, but I am SO, SO glad I did. When we decide to have another baby we can and will use the cloth diapers we are using now for our next baby. As long as I take good care of them, use the proper detergent and don’t lose any they should work just as great.
 
 

At night Rebekah usually pee’s like crazy.. I’m not sure why this is but she has always done this. This is another reason I LOVE cloth diapers. I am able to put as many inserts in my daughter’s cloth diapers and even an extra soaker. This keeps her and her bed dry all night and even into to the early morning.. No more waking up in the middle of the night to change a diaper, WOOT!!

Overall cloth diapers have been great and I highly recommend them to anyone. If anything buy at least 4 and try it out. Who knows, you may end enjoying just as much as I have.

2 comments:

The McDowell Clan - TN Branch said...

OMG I. AM. SOLD. :)

David (BTW I like the subliminal messaging... cloth diapers. So how's it going today? cloth diapers. It's been nice and sunny cloth diapers) Haha :D

McDowellFamily said...

Your so sweet David =)

Post a Comment